Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Dogs

Time for a bit about my dogs. A few years ago I learned more about German Shepherd Dogs. When I saw my sisters young dog, a solid black female, I thought "I want one of those". It turned out "one of those" are considered working line German Shepherds, not your normal black and tan with the sloped back! This type has a ton of drive and full speed ahead.


I ended up getting a half brother to my sisters female. Abe is a wonderful dog, he's my avitar right now. Did I mention German Shepherds are like potato chips? I now have four...... All are from West German working lines, with one being imported from Germany as a pup.


I am currently working two of the girls toward Schutzhund titles. This started out being part of the breed worthiness testing and most top breeders still require their dogs to be titled prior to breeding. It's a three phase test includes tracking, advanced obedience, and protection with tons of obedience built in. There are three levels of titles also, each being more difficult. Before a dog can start competing in Schutzhund, they must pass what is considered a "traffic safe test". This is actually an advanced obedience routine in itself.



On and off leash. Normal, slow, fast paces. Left turns, right turns, about turns. Through and around groups of people. Sit out of motion where the person keeps walking as the dog sits. Down out of motion where the person keeps walking as the dog downs. A recall to the front then finish to the heel position. A long down with the person across the field while another dog is doing it's routine. Being in a crowd of people, and I mean crowd where they all gather right around the dog. Having a bicycle go by, a jogger come out from behind a vehicle, a car stop and ask for directions. And this is the very beginners test!






Abram vom Blitzenfel
Abe passed his "traffic safe test"





Ccatti vom Hiddenhaus
Ccatti and I are working toward her titles now.




Boa Boneshaker
Boa and I are working toward her titles now.




Jocelyn vom Hiddenhaus




Did I mention I feel very safe sharing my house with these wonderful dogs? And they are all wonderful dogs.
I'm planning on sharing more about the girls as we progress.







No comments: